Breastfeeding Classes, Groups, and Training Opportunities
Beyond Breastfeeding Basics:
Peer counselors offer classes that are FUN and packed full of information! They talk about topics that are important to all of you. They also make sure you get the real facts about breastfeeding so that you can make the best decision about feeding your baby.
This class will focus on what to expect when you start breastfeeding, how to establish a great milk supply, benefits of breastfeeding for mom and baby, working and breastfeeding, and much more.
- Second and Fourth Friday at 10 am and 2 pm at the Burton WIC Clinic: G-3373 S. Saginaw Street, Burton, MI 48529. Please call (810) 237-4606 to sign-up.
Baby Café of Genesee County:
Baby Cafe of Genesee County provides free, drop-in breastfeeding support where breastfeeding moms and moms-to-be can share advice, get advice and just talk about their experiences. It’s a great chance to talk to moms who are going through what you’re going through and to support each other.
- Baby Café of Genesee County meets every Monday from 10 am to 12 pm at Atherton Van Y Vern Elementary: 2400 Clarice Ave., Burton, MI, 48519.
Genesee Breastfeeding Coalition:
The Genesee Breastfeeding Coalition will increase awareness of the benefits of and support for breastfeeding in the lives of mothers, children and families in Genesee County. We will partner with other organizations to create a community that values the support and promotion of breastfeeding as the standard for optimal maternal and child health and development.
Additional groups and events are posted on the Burton WIC Breastfeeding Sidekicks, the Baby Café of Genesee County, and the Genesee Breastfeeding Coalition facebook pages. Like them on facebook!
The SMILE Club:
The Genesee County Health Department WIC is kicking off the Supporting Mothers in Lactation Efforts (SMILE) Club May 16, 2019. The SMILE Club is intended to help mothers improve their health during and after pregnancy, with an emphasis on education, support and encouragement regarding breastfeeding. Pregnant and breastfeeding WIC clients are eligible to join the SMILE Club starting May 16, 2019 through June 30, 2019.
Families who join the SMILE Club will collect points for going to doctor appointments, WIC appointments, and for attaining breastfeeding benchmarks. They will also accrue points for participating in parent meetings, play groups, home visits, parenting education, and health-related classes. The points can be exchanged for baby items, breastfeeding items, gift cards, and other goodies.
For more information about the SMILE Club, call 810-237-4607.
Additional Breastfeeding Training Opportunities:
- Lactation Counselor Training Course & CLC Exam Site – Lactation Counselor Training Course is a comprehensive, evidence-based, college level, breastfeeding management course that includes practical skills, theoretical foundations and competency verification. At the end of the course, participants who have completed all competencies may sit for the CLC® examination, the premier national certification in lactation management for the United States, which is administered by the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP). For more information visit http://centerforbreastfeeding.org/register_lctc/
- Certified Lactation Specialist Course (CLSC) – The Certified Lactation Specialist Course is designed for the aspiring lactation consultant or nurses, physicians, midwives, dieticians, breastfeeding assistants or others desirous of improving their knowledge base and skills in working with the breastfeeding dyad. This certification is a stepping stone to the IBCLC credential. For more information visit: https://lactationeducation.com/clsc
- West Michigan Association of Lactation Consultants Conference – The West Michigan Association of Lactation Consultants represents lactation consultants, lactation counselors, nurses, dietitians, physicians and nurse midwives who are active in the support and promotion of breastfeeding in their community, hospitals, and private practices. They invite you to become involved with WMALC, share your experience, and work together to promote and support breastfeeding for mothers, infants and families in West Michigan. The conference will be held on Monday, May 13 at the Prince Conference Center at Calvin College. For more information visit: https://www.wmalc.org/registration.html
- Breastfeeding Basics – The Genesee County Health Department will host a free all-day Breastfeeding Basics training on Monday, July 29 at the Genesys Banquet and Conference Center. This training will provide information on the normal course of breastfeeding and an opportunity to develop and practice skills in breastfeeding promotion and support. This training is for any maternal and child service provider who provides support, education, medical, or other services to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. Registration information will be available after May 31, 2019. Please call Shonte Terhune at 810-341-7667 for more information.
- Maternal Health Care, Breastfeeding, and Implicit Bias – The Genesee County Health Department will host a free workshop for any medical, early childhood, or other MCH provider who provides services to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. Increasing awareness of potential implicit biases can help to engage all populations in understanding the importance of breastfeeding to maternal and child health. Jennifer Day, IBCLC will be conducting 2 sessions (morning and afternoon) on Thursday, July 18 at the Genesys Banquet and Conference Center. Registration information will be available by May 31. Please call Shonte Terhune at 810-341-7667 for more information.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.