Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS)
Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS)
Program Mission Statement
CSHCS strives to enable individuals with special health care needs to have improved health outcomes and an enhanced quality of life through the appropriate use of the CSHCS system of care.
Children’s Special Health Care Services is a family centered, a community-based coordinated care program that helps pay for specialized medical treatment, prescriptions, medical equipment, and supplies for children with chronic (long-term) health conditions. Case management is offered to assist families with problem-solving, obtaining needed services from other agencies, and develop advocacy skills for maximum independence. Comprehensive family assessment identifying the needs of all family members is performed by public health nurses from the local health department.
Our goals are to:
- Educate and financially assist individuals and families with special health care needs access appropriate medical care, health education and supports.
- Assure delivery of needed specialty services and supports in an accessible, family-centered, culturally competent, community-based and coordinated manner.
- Promote and encourage parent/professional collaboration and advocacy to obtain needed services, providers and benefits.
- Remove barriers that prevent individuals with special needs from achieving these goals.
The Family Center for children and youth with special health care needs (formally known as the parent participation program PPP) primary purpose is to help shape CSHCS policies and procedures and to help families navigate the CSHCS system. Through its Family Support Network of Michigan, the Center provides emotional support and information statewide to families of children with special health care needs.
*If you have no insurance or way to pay for the first appointment with your specialty doctor, don’t worry. CSHCS covers diagnostic evaluations for individuals when symptoms and history indicate the possibility of a CSHCS qualifying condition, but the appropriate medical information cannot be obtained from the current provider(s). Diagnostic evaluations are to determine whether an individual meets the medical eligibility criteria for CSHCS, not for providing treatment.
For more information or to inquire about eligibility:
* Contact Genesee County Health Department CSHCS (810)257-3146
* Call our CSHCS Family Phone Line at 1-800-359-3722 or
* Write to the Family Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
Genesee County Health Department’s Children’s Special Health Care Services recognizes Section 1557 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Please be aware of requirements of Section 1557, Nondiscrimination in Health Programs and Activities, of the Affordable Care Act. All health programs and activities that receive Federal financial assistance for any program/service are required to comply with the requirements of Section 1557. At a broad level, this requires all covered entities to:
- Not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability;
- Provide meaningful, free, and timely access to language assistance services to those with Limited English Proficiency (LEP);
- Provide free and timely access to auxiliary aids and services (including qualified sign language interpreters, large print materials, text telephones, etc) to individuals with disabilities;
- Post nondiscrimination notice in conspicuous physical locations;
- Add taglines regarding language assistance in top 2 languages other than English to all small communications (brochures, pamphlets, postcards), and in top 15 languages for all non-small communications (letters, applications, explanation of benefits/services); and
Designate an employee to coordinate compliance, implement a grievance procedure, and investigate grievances when they occur (applies only to organizations with 15 or more employees).
Links to Michigan Department of Health and Human Services CSHCS pages:
MDHHS Children Special Health Care Link
The Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs
The Children’s with Special Needs Fund
Family Rights and Responsibilities
Links to Important Genesee County pages:
GCHD Notice of Privacy Practices
Go to Genesee County Women Infants and Children (WIC) home page
Click on the CSHCS links below to:
Request a Plan of Care
Update Doctors, Hospitals or Providers
Request Mileage Reimbursement, Transportation or Lodging
Update Name, Address and Phone Number
Update Private Insurance or Other Coverage
Complete a Customer Client Satisfaction Survey
To personally discuss complements, complaints, voice concerns or anything else.
CSHCS Request for any other assistance (Billing Issues, access to Medical Supplies, Medication’s Food, Clothing, Shelter / Housing, etc.)
Complete a CSHCS Children’s Special Needs Fund Application
Complete a Camp Scholarship Application
Complete a CSHCS Conference Scholarship Application
Plan of Care Signature Page