Pay Online

Food Service Sanitation

Due to the increased strain on Michigan’s food service industry, Governor Whitmer has extended the deadline for certain forms of licensing and registration. Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed Executive Order 2020-60 on April 26 under which Food Service Establishment licenses will be due 60 days after the day food service facilities are allowed to fully reopen to the public as stated in language below:

Temporary safety measures for food-selling establishments and pharmacies and temporary relief from requirements applicable to the renewal of licenses for the food service industry:

Strict compliance with sections 3119, 4109, 4113, and 4115 of the Food Law, 92 PA 2000, as amended, MCL 289.3119, MCL 289.4109, MCL 289.4113, and MCL 289.4115, is temporarily suspended to the extent necessary to extend the deadline for local health departments to submit fees under section 3119, and to extend the license and registration expiration dates under sections 4109 and 4115, until 60 days after the end of the declared states of emergency and disaster. Furthermore, late fees shall not be assessed under sections 4113 or 4115 during the 2020–2021 license year.

For clarification: Food Service Establishment licenses will be due 60 days after the day food service facilities are allowed fully reopen to the public.

Read the full order here. For more information on COVID-19, visit our Coronavirus page here.

Michigan Food Law authorizes the Genesee County Health Department to license and regulate all food service establishments within Genesee County. These include restaurants, bars, cafeterias, coffee shops, donut shops, concessions, catering kitchens, rental halls, and private organizations serving the public. Genesee County has approximately 1,250 mobile and fixed establishments. The health department licenses an additional 300 temporary food service establishments each year.

Health departments do not regulate grocery and convenience stores, meat markets, bakeries, food warehouses, and food processing plants. The Michigan Food Law authorizes the Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA) to license and regulate these facilities. For information about these facilities or to make a complaint about one located in Genesee County, contact the MDA at (989) 758-1778 or 800-292-3939.